Former UFC champion Eddie Alvarez insists ‘there are serious talks’ about him fighting Oscar De La Hoya on July 3

Eddie Alvarez has confirmed he is in ‘serious talks’ with Oscar De La Hoya about being his comeback opponent and the fight could even be announced this week.

Former pound-for-pound and PPV star De La Hoya announced at the Ben Askren vs Jake Paul press conference he would be making his return to the ring this summer having not fought since 2008.

De la Hoya has confirmed he will make a return to the ring and Alvarez could be next
Getty

The Mexican was outclassed and stopped by Manny Pacquaio on that night in Las Vegas, with De La Hoya instead moving into promoting fighters under his Golden Boy banner.

Holding 11 world titles across six weight divisions, there was seemingly nothing left for him to prove after a glittering 16-year career.

However, he told Snoop Dogg at the Triller Fight Club event earlier this month he wants to return and Alvarez could well be stood opposite him.

The former UFC and Bellator lightweight champion is currently competing for ONE Championship and has ambitions to become the first lightweight to hold world titles in three different organisations.

The six-weight world champion was defeated in 2008 by Manny Pacquaio before hanging up the gloves
Getty Images – Getty

After a contentious defeat in his last outing this weekend thanks to a disqualification, the Philadelphia-native told ESPN there are ‘serious talks’ about him moving into the squared circle.

“Recently, we’ve been hearing from Oscar De La Hoya’s guys,” Alvarez said.

“Look, I’m fixated on the ONE Championship belt. I mean, I am laser focused on making history and getting my world title.

“But I feel like there is going to be a lull; the champion is going to sit for a little bit, I think he is going to have a baby.

The former UFC champion was disqualified in his previous ONE Championship appearance
ONE CHAMPIONSHIP (twitter)

“If that happens, Oscar de la Hoya and them guys have been reaching out and hell, I would love to get in there and mix it up with him. That would be a hell of a fight.

“Everybody here in Philadelphia is backing me and the whole Philadelphia boxing to back me up and to get in there and mix it up with that guy would be a dream come true.

“I actually think I would do pretty damn good against him, so I would be crazy excited about that if them guys figure that out. But we will so though.”

Alvarez was stopped by Conor McGregor in 2016 at UFC 205 in Madison Square Garden after being knocked down multiple times in eight minutes.

Alvarez won the UFC lightweight via first round KO back in 2016
Getty

Yet the 37-year-old has 17 knockouts from his 30 wins and insists the talks could even reach a conclusion imminently.

“Oh yeah, there are serious talks,” he added. “They are serious like wanting to get a deal done this week serious.”

Source: Sport

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *