Boko Haram: NAF Says It’s Still Investigating Killing Of Soldiers By Friendly Fire

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Monday said it is yet to conclude investigation into the alleged killing of some soldiers of the Nigerian Army by its airstrikes.

It will be recalled as previously reported by Naija News that a Nigerian Air Force (NAF) fighter jet reportedly made a mistake, attacking some ground troops on their way to the town of Mainok.

The plane was intended to respond against Boko Haram terrorists loyal to the Islamic State of West Africa Providence (ISWAP) but mistakenly attacked military forces heading to Mainok town, 55 kilometers to Maiduguri.

“The Boko Haram terrorists disguised in military uniform and gained access to the camp. They came in different groups and could not be counted. The Nigerian Army were pinned down, they requested for reinforcement, the reinforcement got on their way only to get smoked by the Nigerian Airforce.

“The (reinforcement team) was coming from Ngandu and were killed by an airstrike. The Air Force mistook them for Boko Haram as both were cladded in similar military uniform and operational vehicles,” a source had claimed.

After the incident, NAF said an investigation has been opened into the matter but when contacted on Monday for an update on the matter, NAF spokesperson, Air Commodore Edward Gabkwet told Sahara Reporters that investigations are still ongoing on the alleged incident.

“We are still investigating the incident, we’ll update you as soon as the investigation is concluded,” he said.

Meanwhile, Niger State Governor, Abubakar Sani Bello has labelled the viral social media video of Boko Haram forcefully converting people to Islam as fake.

The Governor spoke after a video emerged on social media alleging that the terrorists are forcing people in some areas of Niger State which they have conquered to forcefully convert to Islam.

The video was shared on Twitter by former Aviation Minister, Femi Fani-Kayode, Naija News earlier reported.

However, the Niger State governor has debunked the video as fake, explaining that the video is an old video and the event depicted in it didn’t happen in Nigeria.

Governor Bello also called on Fano-Kayode to delete the video.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *